As most of you know, this writing journey has taken years for a published book to come to fruition. Dissonance is very close to publication.
After several missed (self-imposed) deadlines, I have a real tentative publish date set. I missed my hope of the end of August due to a few minor setbacks and some back-up plans implemented, but in less than four weeks time Dissonance will be a real book. I’ll do an official update with publication dates and a cover reveal soon (read as in about a week or week and a half).
I just finished my first (of many) eight week graduate class last week. This week has been the one and only break I get until December 20th. I am hoping that the next class, that starts on Monday and lasts through Oct 25, I will have a bit more time (or my time management will be better) so that I can finalize this book. Last night was the first night I actually set down and worked on Dissonance for a considerable amount of time.
Part of my backup plan, was hiring a proofreader, a friend was going to look at it (out of the goodness of their heart), but life, as it sometimes does, ended up getting in the way. I was a bit hesitant about finding a new proofreader for a 68,000 word book, as most proofreaders charge by the word and it gets very pricey to proofread anything longer than a novella. I decided to take my chances and venture on to fivrr.com and and paid for a sample from proofreader with good reviews and in my price range (a huge plus!). I spent $15 to have the first five chapters of Dissonance reviewed and proofread. I was impressed with his quality and the short turnaround time. I decided to have him proof the rest of the book as well.
Last night, I went through the track changes on the first five chapters, and I have to admit I think it reads a lot better now. I started out with over 600 changes, mostly punctuation (I am terrible with commas), a few word changes, and added phrasing or phrases moved around. This evening I will start tackling the 3,352 suggested changes in Chapters 6 – 36. I haven’t taken all of his suggestions and I have found others as I have been reviewing, but overall I like the changes being made.
While I’m talking about plans for the next few weeks, I am also working on the acknowledgements and about author page for the back of the book. As soon as I get the adjustments to the actual manuscript completed, I will reveal the amazing cover that Kate over at Dwell Design & Press has created for me.